Our household has been on a bit of a health kick since the beginning of the year for various reasons, and it’s given me a real excuse to start experimenting with ingredients I’ve not used before. In this case it’s the much health hyped chia seeds which I confess to having purchased and in the cupboard for a while before experimenting.
With 2 left over bananas over ripening in the corner of the studio kitchen we thought we’d give these banana and chia muffins a try, I confess to having used butter but only a very small amount, but also have used dates for sweetness rather than adding any sugar. The greek yoghurt really does give a lovely healthy texture too.
It really has been crazy busy in the studio for the last few weeks but we managed to take less than an hour out to make and shoot these today – the results are surprisingly moist, tasty and healthy!
Makes approx 8 medium or 10 small muffins
2 bananas roughly mashed
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
100g wholemeal plain flour
40g dried dates (3/4 finely chopped, 1/4 rough chopped for topping dates)
1 tbsp chia seeds
15g melted butter
75g greek yoghurt
1 beaten egg
1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Roughly mash banana, add chia seeds, yoghurts and finely chopped dates and mix well.
- Add beaten egg and mix some more.
- Sift flour, salt, bicarb of soda and baking powder together and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet a bit at a time until all ingredients incorporated.
- Add a splash of lemon juice and mix.
- Spoon into individual muffin liners in a muffin tin, bake for 25 minutes at 190 centigrade.
- When cooked turn out of muffin tin and leave to cool on a baking rack
Enjoy without guilt!
Click on the pictures below to see the steps in full.